Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pinterest-Inspired Avocado Spinach Egg Salad

So, I originally saw this post on Pinterest, and was immediately intrigued...  Avacado?  I adore it.  Egg Salad?  There are few foods that take me back to childhood like it!  Put them together?  BRILLIANT!  And, no mayonnaise?  AMAZING!  So, all credit to the original at We Are Not Martha - I hope I have sufficiently expressed how much I love this idea!

Avocado Spinach Egg Salad


Ingredients
6 hard-boiled eggs
2 medium avocados
2 Tbsp reduced fat sour cream
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 c fresh spinach, torn into pieces with stems removed
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Juice from 1/2 lime
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Instructions
Step 1 - read the original post at We Are Not Martha.  For starters, she gives pictures throughout the entire process, but I was so tickled by her description of her husband's expanding palate that I almost spit out my water...  OK, on to the salad...

Peel 6 hard boiled eggs and add to a large mixing bowl.  Use a fork or potato masher to mash them up.

Cut the avocados in half around the large, central seed (pit?  I don't know...), and twist the two halves apart.  Using a knife to dig deep into the pit (seed?  I don't know...) with one good whack, twist the knife to remove the seedpit (there - that works.).  Remove the avocado from the skin and add to the bowl of eggs.  Mash the avocado into the eggs.

Add the sour cream, celery, cilantro, red pepper flakes, lime juice, and salt and pepper and mix all together very well...  Fold in the spinach, and you are finished.


I broke this up into 8 servings, because I plan to eat it on those teeny tiny little tortillas I have clearly become obsessed with...  At this portion size, they are 4 Weight Watchers Plus Points prior to putting on the 1 point tortilla...  So, 5 points each!

No comments:

Post a Comment