Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Best Chicken Tacos I've Ever Made

And, as insane as it is...  I got the base of this recipe from the Weight Watchers website.  I'm not kidding.  I am pretty sure I uncovered the secret that makes these tacos AMAZING, but the base of this came straight from the Weight Watchers website (which they credit to Hungry Girl, but I'll be darned if I can find it on her site...).

Baja Taco Blitz - EXTRA BAM


Ingredients
Nonstick Cooking Spray
1/2 medium onion, sliced thin
1/2 medium red bell pepper, sliced thin
2 (4 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
6 Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas (This is key.  They are tiny and amazing, and only 2 points.  If you get any other kind, only 4 for two people.)
1 tsp chili powder
Salt & Pepper, to taste
1/4 avocado, sliced or cubed
1 c chopped romaine lettuce
4 Tbsp fat free shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsp Sriracha Chili Sauce (This is key. I warn you, however, that I love spicy... You may want to skip it if you don't.)
4 Tbsp fat free salsa
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

Instructions
Heat a medium skillet on the stove top over medium heat.  Remove from heat long enough to coat with cooking spray, and return to heat.  Add the sliced onions and peppers, and allow to soften some but keep their crisp (about 2 minutes).  Remove the onions and peppers from the skillet, and place the chicken strips into the same pan.  Sprinkle chicken with chili powder, and add salt & pepper to taste.  Cook chicken over medium heat about 5 minutes.  Turn heat to low, and add the vegetables back to the pan.

Meanwhile, wrap your tortillas in damp paper towels and place in the microwave.  When the chicken is about a minute from being done, start the tortillas for one minute in the microwave on high heat.  It steams them nicely without being too much extra work.

Divide the chicken, onion, red pepper, avocado, romaine, cheddar cheese among the corn tortillas.  Top with Sriracha, salsa, and cilantro.  Serves 2.

(Total of 6 points before tortillas.  The Mission Extra Thin ones I specify have 1 point per tortilla.  They make the whole thing send me back to Costa Rica in my mind...  :))

No comments:

Post a Comment