Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sweet Potato & Green Bean Gratin

This one was a real adventure.  I'll be honest.  If I make this again, I will add A LOT more cheese...  So, think about a creamier cheese variety between the layers or just more of what I did.  But, it was a little boring as it stands... 

And, also, I almost mandolined my fingernail off.  I seriously escaped with just a divot out of the middle, thanks to a timely manicure... 

Just being honest.  They aren't all home runs!

Sweet Potato & Green Bean Gratin

Ingredients
2 Sweet Potato (medium size), peeled and sliced
1/2 candy onion, sliced and carmelized

1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed and snapped
1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. grated parmesan
1/2 c buttermilk
2 pieces of bacon, crumbled

 
(Measurements on the cheese and buttermilk are not precise)

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Grease or spray a baking dish to keep from gratin from sticking.  Layer the ingredients in this order:  sweet potato, green beans, carmelized onions, bacon, shredded cheeses, buttermilk.

When all layers are complete, place in the preheated oven and allow to bake about an hour.  Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before cutting and eating.  Serves 9. 

Again, I would add more cheese than what you see here.  And, I would probably heavily salt and pepper this on each layer if I made it again.  I think it could really stand up to a stronger, creamy cheese.  The bones are good, but it needs more flavor!!!  If you improve this, please let me know what you did!

1 comment:

  1. This one was definitely inspired, and I want to attribute inspiration from www.thefoodinmybeard.com. Maybe instead of liking the idea, I should have just followed what he did EXACTLY, though... He loved his. (no bacon, egg nog v. Buttermilk, not sure on cheese... But layered and baked the same!

    ReplyDelete